South Australia Security and Locks

The landlord is responsible for providing and maintaining the security of the premises. Generally, the consent of the other party is needed before the locks can be changed.

This guide covers landlords (or head-tenants) and tenants (or sub-tenants) in a Residential Tenancy. This applies to the majority of share accommodation and residential property rental situations. To confirm it covers your situation visit What is my share accommodation situation?

The landlord is under an obligation to provide and maintain locks and other security devices at the premises that are necessary to make it reasonably secure.

This means that all door and window locks (or other electronic security devices) should be secure and functioning before the tenant moves in. The landlord must also conduct any repairs necessary to the locks or security devices during the tenancy if the tenant notifies the landlord of any damage or disrepair.

Changing the locks
The landlord or tenant can only alter, remove, or add a lock or other security device if the other party consents. Landlords should generally give consent as quickly as possible to a change in security if it is necessary for the tenant to be secure at the premises.

The landlord or tenant cannot unreasonably refuse to give consent to a change in locks or security. The only circumstances where consent can be refused are where it would significantly damage the premises or reduce its value.

Back to South Australia Rights and Obligations

These legal guides provide a brief summary and introduction of the laws and regulations affecting share accommodation. They do not cover all cases in all legal jurisdictions and might not apply in your specific share accommodation situation. It is important that you use this information as a guide only and seek independent Legal Advice or consult the Relevant Acts. We do not accept any liability that may arise from the use of this information.