Tasmania Security and Locks for Rented Premises


The landlord is responsible for providing and maintaining the security of the premises. Generally, the consent of the other party is needed before the locks can be changed.

This guide covers landlords (or head-tenants) and tenants (or sub-tenants) in a Residential Tenancy. This applies to the majority of share accommodation and residential property rental situations. To confirm it covers your situation visit What is my share accommodation situation?

Who is responsible for security and locks?

The landlord is under an obligation to provide and maintain locks and other security devices at the premises that are necessary to make it secure.

This means that all door and window locks (or other electronic security devices) should be secure and functioning before the tenant moves in. The landlord must also conduct any repairs necessary to the locks or security devices during the tenancy if the tenant notifies the landlord of any damage or disrepair.

Security in share accommodation

If the agreement is for a room with access to shared facilities, the room should be secure and have its own locks. This may mean the landlord has to install locks or other security devices on internal doors or windows.

How can the locks be changed?

The tenant or landlord can only change the locks (or other security device) if the other party gives permission.

If the locks are altered in any way, the party that changed them must provide the other party with a key (or other security device) to open it.

In the case of family violence orders, the court can order that locks be changed without the permission of the tenant or landlord.

Back to Tasmania Rights and Obligations

These legal guides provide a brief summary and introduction of the laws and regulations affecting share accommodation. They do not cover all cases in all legal jurisdictions and might not apply in your specific share accommodation situation. It is important that you use this information as a guide only and seek independent Legal Advice or consult the Relevant Acts. We do not accept any liability that may arise from the use of this information.