Tenancy Acts


Tenancy law in Australian is different in every state and the majority of share accommodation situations are either covered by the same Residential Tenancy Acts that cover a normal residential rental situation, boarding/rooming acts or common law.

If you are interested in reading the law in more detail then you can refer the the relevant acts below.

Our legal guides are a basic introductory of how tenancy law covers shared accommodation and do not cover all situations. It is always advisable to seek legal advice because there can be law or legal precedence outside these acts which could affect your specific situation.

New South Wales



Western Australia

South Australia

Australian Capital Territory


Northern Territory

These legal guides provide a brief summary and introduction of the laws and regulations affecting share accommodation. They do not cover all cases in all legal jurisdictions and might not apply in your specific share accommodation situation. It is important that you use this information as a guide only and seek independent Legal Advice or consult the Relevant Acts. We do not accept any liability that may arise from the use of this information.