Victoria Security and Locks

It is the landlord’s responsibility to provide locks on doors and windows that make the premises secure. If the tenant or landlord change the locks, they must give the other party a copy of the new key as soon as possible.

This guide covers landlords (or head-tenants) and tenants (or sub-tenants) in a Residential Tenancy. This applies to the majority of share accommodation and residential property rental situations. To confirm it covers your situation visit What is my share accommodation situation?

Who is responsible for security and locks?

Providing Locks
It is the responsibility of the landlord to supply locks (or other security devices) to ensure that the rented premises is secure. This means that the landlord must hand over the rented premises to the tenant in a secure state.

The landlord should provide a key to all the tenants under the agreement at the beginning of the tenancy agreement.

Changing the Locks
Whenever the tenant or landlord changes the locks for any door or window, they must supply the other party with a copy of the new key as soon as possible.

If the tenant wants to change a lock in a master key system, then they must obtain the landlord’s consent. If the landlord withholds consent, the tenant can apply to the Tribunal for order overriding the landlord. The Tribunal will only make an order if the landlord’s withholding of consent was unreasonable.

Additional provisions apply in the case of family or domestic violence intervention orders.

Back to Victoria Rights and Obligations during Tenancy

These legal guides provide a brief summary and introduction of the laws and regulations affecting share accommodation. They do not cover all cases in all legal jurisdictions and might not apply in your specific share accommodation situation. It is important that you use this information as a guide only and seek independent Legal Advice or consult the Relevant Acts. We do not accept any liability that may arise from the use of this information.