Tasmania Minimum Standards for Rented Premises


In Tasmania, there are minimum standards for the condition of the rented premises. Landlords should make sure the premises meets these conditions before entering a tenancy agreement.

This guide covers landlords (or head-tenants) and tenants (or sub-tenants) in a Residential Tenancy. This applies to the majority of share accommodation and residential property rental situations. To confirm it covers your situation visit What is my share accommodation situation?

Is the premises weatherproof and structurally sound?

The landlord must ensure that the premises is weatherproof and in a good state of structural repair.

For the premises to be in a good state of structural repair, the roof, floors, ceilings, walls, and stairs must all be:

  • in good repair,
  • not significantly damp, or
  • about to collapse because of rot or any other defect

Is the premises clean and in good repair?

The landlord must provide the premises in a clean condition and in good repair. If the landlord becomes aware that the premises has fallen out of good repair during the tenancy, then they must take reasonable steps to fix the problem as soon as possible. This also means that the tenant should notify the landlord as soon as possible of any problems with the premises.

The landlord does not need to take any steps to fix the problem if it was caused by the tenant. If an existing problem was made worse because the tenant did not inform the landlord, then the landlord will only be liable for part of the cost of fixing it.

Are bathrooms and toilets required?

The landlord must provide a flushable toilet and a separate bathroom with the rented premises.

The requirements for the toilet are:

  • the toilet must be connected to a sewer, on-site waste-water management, or other council waste-water disposal system
  • the toilet must be in a room only used for the toilet or as a bathroom
  • the room with the toilet must have a vent, opening window, or ventilation device

The requirements for the bathroom are:

  • the premises must contain a bathroom in a room separate to the rest of the rented premises
  • the bathroom must be designed so it can be used in private
  • the bathroom must contain a shower and/or bath
  • the bathroom must have a washbasin
  • the shower, bath, and washbasin must be connected to a water supply

Are cooking facilities required?

The landlord must provide the rented premise with an area designated for cooking. The cooking area must include:

  • a kitchen sink with hot and cold water
  • a stovetop with at least 2 working heating elements (3 elements if there are 3 or more bedrooms in the premises)
  • an oven (conventional, convection, or microwave are allowed)

What electrical facilities must be provided?

The landlord must ensure that the premises is connected to mains power or has an electricity generator before entering a residential tenancy agreement.

The landlord must also ensure that all power-points and electrical wires are safe and functioning before entering an agreement.

The landlord must also ensure that every room in the house (except for storage-only rooms) has adequate natural and/or artificial lighting.

What heating facilities must be provided?

The landlord must ensure that at least one living room in the rented premises has one of the following:

  • electrical heater or gas heater
  • heat pump
  • wood heater
  • open fire place

Are window covering required?

The landlord must provide curtains or blinds for any room likely to be used as a bedroom or living room.

What about ventilation?

The landlord must ensure that all rooms in the premises are adequately ventilated. Read page 4 of the Rental Guide for specific information about ventilation requirements.

Back to Tasmania Rights and Obligations

These legal guides provide a brief summary and introduction of the laws and regulations affecting share accommodation. They do not cover all cases in all legal jurisdictions and might not apply in your specific share accommodation situation. It is important that you use this information as a guide only and seek independent Legal Advice or consult the Relevant Acts. We do not accept any liability that may arise from the use of this information.